Two weeks ago I made a trip to the Smuckers headquarters in Ohio. It was an amazing trip filled with learning and great tips. One of the sessions I went to was focused on recipe that you can make ahead of time for a Holiday Party. I was excited that I got to make the Black Bean Hummus recipe, my family loves hummus but I have never made it before.
My cooking partner was Heather with Whipperberry, she is awesome in the kitchen so I was pretty lucky to have her as my partner. But what really made me smile was HOW EASY the recipe was and how good it tasted. This is a keeper for sure, I can’t wait to make it for my family.
Black Bean Hummus with Toasted Pita Wedges
Makes: 2 cups Preparation Time: 30 Minutes Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
• 3 pitas, each cut into 8 wedges
• 1/2 cup Crisco® 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
• 1 tsp. minced garlic, divided
• Salt and pepper
• 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
• 2 tbsps tahini
• 2 tbsps lemon juice
• 1 tbsp. chopped jalapeno pepper
• 1 tsp. ground cumin
• 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
• 5 tbsps finely chopped fresh cilantro, divided
• 1/2 cup chopped tomato
• Bite-size fresh vegetables for dipping
1. HEAT oven to 375°F. Arrange pita wedges on baking sheets. Combine 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in small bowl. Stir until blended. Brush over both sides of pita wedges. Bake 7 to 10 minutes or until crisp and lightly browned.
2. COMBINE beans, tahini, lemon juice, jalapeno, cumin and 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon garlic in food processor. Cover and process until smooth.
3. STIR in parsley and 1/4 cup cilantro until blended. Place in serving bowl. Garnish with tomato and remaining 1 tablespoon cilantro. Drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Serve with pita wedges and fresh vegetables.
Need some ideas for fun easy cookies, check out all the recipes and ideas at Pillsbury Baking.
Dis-closer I recently attended an all-expenses paid meeting at The J. M. Smucker Company, all opinions are my own.