Thanks to Stretching Your Dollar$ for passing along this email,
As many of you know I am a newspaper manager. We received emails today from our corporate office regarding coupon distribution and disposal.
Apparently Red Plum, Smart Source and P&G are filing suit against eBay for allowing the buying and selling of coupons. They are also in talks regarding the same with TLC. According to them it`s all considered coupon fraud.
Before, we were allowed to give away the leftover q`s and those returned from papers that did not sell. We must now destroy all leftover inserts immediately. Newspaper employees are allowed to take home ONE insert per family member , per household.
They are going to do everything possible to make it almost impossible to get coupons without buying the actual newspapers. They are also going to shut down all online sites that sell whole coupon inserts.
So, it appears MAJOR change is coming.
No big surprise that the TLC show Extreme Couponing has created a ripple effect and changes will need to be made. In case you have not seen the show they spotlight each week shoppers that buy in mass amounts, hundreds of coupons at a time. Many all for the same product. Sure it makes good TV ratings, but has the stores and manufactures outraged. It does make me sad that they show the “extreme” and it will now effect the every day couponer as well.
But here is the good news ….this change does not really effect me, or how I teach you to coupon for the following reasons.
- I teach you to stock up… but instead of 100 we are buying 5-20 depending on your family size
- I teach you that being a MOM should come first, and being A Thrifty Mom should always come second…. we are far from extreme
- I have never purchased coupons off a clipping site… so no loss for me there
- I have purchased coupons off ebay, but not very often so big deal, I will still be able to get great deals from the coupons in my local papers.
- I am happy to buy my Sunday papers that include the coupon inserts because I know it is worth the investment for how much I am going to save.
- Both my local papers have always been very strict about destroying all unsold papers, so no change for our community there.
What are your thoughts on this?