Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken and Bean Chowder Recipe ~ Made With Dry Beans
Recipe yields 13 cups
For this recipe you will need
- 5 quart Slow Cooker or larger
- 1 cup (half a bag) of Hurst’s HamBeens Bacon and Beans Slow Cooker Dry Bean mix (Do not use the bacon packet for this recipe)
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 large chicken breast (about 3/4 lb) it can be frozen
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 4 cups water
15 minutes before serving add
- 2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheese (Mexican style blend)
- 1- 7 oz can Salsa Verde (found in the Mexican food section of the grocery store)
- 1- 15 oz can of whole kernel sweet corn (drained)
- dash of hot sauce (optional)
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- salt and pepper to taste (it might need a little more salt than a normal dish, but do not add it till the end to prevent the beans for getting hard)
Put lid on slow cooker and cook on high for 4-5 hours (or low for 8-9 hours). About 15-30 minutes before you serve it take the chicken out and shred it, and put back into the crock pot. Add the Salsa Verde, sweet corn dash of hot sauce, chopped cilantro, green onions, salt and pepper to taste.
Please note I only used half a bag of beans, to double this recipe you could make the whole bag. But half the bag was plenty for my families needs. Made 11 cups of soup.
I am proud to be working with the Hurst’s HamBeens company to bring you these recipes, recipe and opinions are my own. Sponsored post.