Thanks to Holiday Haven for passing along this wonder post on how to make a beautiful, yet simple cake perfect for Valentines day!
Tip: If you do not have a heart shaped pan you can use a square or rectangle pan and then cut a heart shape out.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. (For cakes this is a very important step).
2. Cut a piece of waxed paper, or baking paper to fit your pan. Butter the pan, lay the paper in, and then butter the paper.
3. Add a bit of your cake mixture to flour the pan. I still use mixes because I am a decorator, not a baker (yes, there is a difference). But if you make cake from scratch, just a little of the dry mixture before adding wet ingredients will do.
8. Frosting: 1c. butter or cream cheese, 4c. powdered sugar, dash of vanilla, and milk added by the tablespoon till it is a good spreadable consistency will make a good buttercream frosting.
18. To ruffle wired ribbon cut a piece a bit larger than you will need. Make a hook from the wire on one edge of the ribbon. Pull the other side of the wire out a bit until ribbon is gathered on one side.
19. Carefully tuck around the cake.