Thanks to Purposely Frugal for passing along this recipe for how to make baked potatoes in the crock pot (instead of the oven). We have a rule in our family that we never leave the house with the oven on… so I love this idea. Plus on a hot summer day the last thing you want is your oven on all day. Not an issue in winter ( heck most days I want to snuggle up to my oven just to stay warm…lol.)
If you would like to be a featured guest post on Look What I Made , watch for our weekly post each Tuesday called A Thrifty online craft fair, link up and you may be selected for our weekly feature post.
- Scrub and pat dry your potatoes
- Poke a few holes in them with a fork.
- Rub in oil (I used olive oil) and salt.
- Wrap in aluminium foil and put in your crock pot. I cooked 6 potatoes on low for 7 hours, but you may need to vary the cooking time, based on the size and number of potatoes and your crock pot.
- Enjoy with your favorite toppings!No need to add water to the bottom but to keep the bottom ones from burning rotate them OR add some crumbled foil on the bottom before you add the potatoes.
Crock Pot Tip: A crock pot uses about 8 cents of electricity in 7 hours, whereas an oven uses between 16-24 cents per hour of use. I know the savings is small, but crock pots also keep your house cooler in the summer! Information from Michael Bluejay, a.k.a Mr. Electricity.