Mixed Berry Crumble ~ Dessert For One by Tiffany
There are times in our life when we need dessert for one. Usually, and I’m being totally transparent here, I grab a bag of milk chocolate chips, run up to my closet and lock the door behind me. I’m very careful not to make the bag crinkle too, or I’ll five lil’ monkeys banging on my door asking me, “Whatcha eating?! Whatever it is, CAN WE HAVE SOME?!!!” What can I say, other than I may have a tad bit of an addiction to good chocolate. Hey, dessert and a moment alone = PARADISE! lol Well, this recipe isn’t chocolate, but it sure is tasty if I may say so myself. Scoop some nilla ice cream on top and you have yourself a little ramekin of berry crumble heaven.
I tested this recipe in the microwave for those of you who use it. I don’t use the microwave to cook or bake in, so this was a total NEW experiment for me. All in the name of foodie science! Follow the directions below, instead of baking in the oven, put in the microwave for 4-5 minutes. Check it after 4 minutes. Use your judgment if you think it needs an additional minute.
I don’t recommend this method using a small ramekin as the directions state below for the oven. Here’s why, I learned the hard way… It looked like a berry blob exploded in the ramakin, most of the crumble sunk to the bottom and a lot of the juices ran over the cup too. I do however recomend using a slightly larger microwave safe bowl instead of a small ramekin, if using the microwave method, so the juices don’t over flow. Add an additional 1/4 cup of berries for the microwave method. (No need to worry about adjusting the other ingredients.) Plop a scoop of ice cream on top and call it a night.
- 1/2 cup mixed frozen berries
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, room temp.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl toss frozen berries and cornstarch together. Place berries into a ramekin.
- In the same small bowl, combine butter, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon with a fork until you get pea sized crumbs.
- Pack crumble on top of frozen berries. Place ramekin on a piece of heavy duty foil and bake in your preheated 400 degree F. oven for 20 minutes. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.