Pumpkin Cream Cheese Coffee Cake by Tiffany
I love coffee cakes! I was doing a little research on where coffee cakes originated from. You want to know what I found out?! Okay, I’ll tell you. Most food historians generally agree that they most likely originated in Northern/Central Europe sometime in the 17th century. I enjoy history, especially when food is involved. Coffee cakes do not necessarily have to be made with coffee. Mine isn’t – I don’t drink coffee. THIS IS ALL NATURAL ENERGY.. lol I developed this recipe the other night while thinking about what I was going to bring y’all. Being that we are not that far off from Thanksgiving, I wanted to bring something breakfast/pumpkin related. I typically eat coffee cake for breakfast or brunch, what about you? This coffee cake would be a great companion along side a fruit platter, eggs and BACON! You gotta have bacon. I took this recipe a bit further and drizzled warm caramel syrup over the top. I cheated and just bought a small jar of Smucker’s Caramel Topping, totally optional, but really good if you decided you wanted to do the same. :)Enjoy!
Ingredients For Cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temp.
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Ingredients For Pumpkin Cream Cheese
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, room temp.
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup 100% pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling. I used Libby’s brand.)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
Ingredients For Streusel
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp.
- 1/4 cup chopped pecan or walnuts
- 1 jar (12.25 oz.) Smucker’s Caramel Flavored Topping, optional, but a tasty way to go!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Confection Setting
- Grease a 3 qt. baking dish, set aside.
- Let’s make the cake In a standing mixer, beat butter and sugar, 10 minutes. Scrape down sides. Beat in 4 eggs and vanilla extract, scraping down sides if needed. In a medium bowl, combine the 3 cups flour and baking powder. Slowly stir in the flour/baking powder to the creamed mixture until combined, scrapping down sides of mixing bowl if needed. (Dough will be thick and sticky.)
- Spread cake batter evenly into greased baking dish, set aside. Wash out mixing bowl.
- Let’s make the Pumpkin Cream Cheese In your clean mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and 1/2 cup white sugar until smooth. Add pumpkin, 2 eggs and spices. Beat until smooth. Pour pumpkin cream cheese on top of cake.
- Let’s make the streusel in a medium sized bowl, combine 1/2 cup flour, brown sugar. Cut in 1/2 cup butter with a pastry blender or fork to make coarse like crumbs; stir in chopped nuts. Evenly sprinkle streusel over pumpkin cream cheese mixture. Bake in preheated 350 degree F. oven for 40-55 minutes. Or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove cake from oven serve warm or let cool. Drizzle caramel topping over the top, optional, but recommended. Cover, store at room temp.