Each day we will be posting A Thrifty Light recipe from one of our readers. At the end of the month, one of you will win a $25.00 Gift Card. For all the details click here.Keep those thrifty and healthy recipe tips coming!!!
Please submit your recipes on this post HERE, or to our email with the word Thrifty Recipe on the subject line.
Thanks To Becky at NOT YOUR ORDINARY AGENT for this Thrifty Light recipe:
I’m going to be very honest. I’ve had quinoa at the Whole Foods salad bar and I wasn’t impressed. It didn’t do much for me, how about that? Well, after a recommendation from a Twitter friend, I decided I needed to find a tastier recipe. I searched a trustworthy site and discovered a stir-fry recipe using quinoa. It turned out to be really good! My girls loved it too! They’ve gagged on risotto, so I was nervous giving this to them. They wanted seconds! Both of them!
What You Will Need:
- ¾ C Original Quinoa
- 1 red pepper,chopped
- 1 C snow peas,snapped
- 1 medium carrot,
- sliced 1 piece of ginger (about 3 inches), peeled and grated
- 2 frozen pieces of Italian marinated chicken (trust me on this)
What You Already Have:
- 1 generous T of vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 C Water
- 3 T low sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 T garlic
- Small pot
- Cookie sheet lined with foil
- Large skillet Large plate strainer
1) Rinse the quinoa in a strainer. Add to small pot with water.
4) While quinoa and chicken cook, cut up veggies.
5) Heat oil over large skillet over medium-high heat.
6) Add carrot and cook for 3 minutes.
7) Add pepper, ginger, and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes.
8) Add peas to pepper mixture. Mix all vegetables so evenly coated. Transfer to large plate.
9) Cut chicken into cubes. 10) Add cooked quinoa and egg to skillet. Make sure you stir quickly to coat quinoa evenly.
11) Add chicken and veggies to skillet. Cook for another 5 minutes, adding soy sauce gradually until coated. 12) Serve.