Passing along this thrifty recipe that I made Saturday night for my families Sunday morning breakfast.07
My elderly neighbor used to tell me about how her husband would put his oatmeal over the pilot light on their gas range over night. I always thought that was Thrifty of him as well as highly convenient.
In watching a new program they shared a recipe that I tried, and it reminds me of my elderly Thrifty neighbors, sadly they are both gone now.
You will need:
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups Steel cut oats (aka Irish Oats)
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries*
- 1/3 cup dried chopped apricots*
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- *Note- I didn’t have either apricots nor cranberries so I used 2/3 cup raisins
Set the cooker on low, put on the lid and cook until oats are tender and porridge is creamy (about 7-8 hours).
Stir and serve how you like your oatmeal.
I really like coming down into the kitchen with breakfast waiting for me.