Valentines Treat ~ CHERRY PIE HEART POPS
Heart shaped pies an a stick, it does not get much cuter than that. Food on stick is always better right lol. These tasty DIY treats are easy to make and festive as well. You can use premade pie dough but I prefer the recipe from scratch below. I like to make cherry pie for the red color…but you can fill them with any pie filling (apple is always my favorite).
Time: 45 Minutes
For pie crust:
1 1?4 cups all purpose flour (plus more for rolling dough)
1?2 teaspoon salt
1?2 teaspoon sugar
8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 tablespoons ice water
Additional ingredients and materials for pies:
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 large egg, with a splash of water
Cherry jam (or other filling of your choice)
Lollipop sticks (oven-safe)
Heart shaped cookie cutter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Make pie crust: In a food processor, pulse flour, salt, and sugar several times to combine. Add butter. Pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons ice water. Pulse until dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed with fingers (if needed, add up to 2 tablespoons more ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time). Do not over process.
3. Roll out dough until it is smooth and even, roughly 1?4” thick.
4. Use heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut out hearts. Recombine the scraps of dough and repeat until you have 12 hearts.
5. Spoon a bit of cherry jam or filling of your choice into the center of half of the hearts. Keep the border around the outside of the hearts clean.
6. Place a lollipop stick on each crust, pushing down with a bit of pressure so it sticks into the dough. Then, place plain dough hearts on top. Place heart pies onto a baking sheet
7. Use a fork to pinch the edges of each pie together. Next, brush egg wash onto tops to allow them to get golden and crispy while baking.
8. Sprinkle a bit of white sugar on top. Bake for 20-30 minutes until golden brown.
If you like this idea be sure to check out our list of OVER 25 Valenitnes crafts, DIY, Recipes and ideas.
Looking for More Online Deals? Click here for more THRIFTY DEALS. Please note that Amazon priced tend to change often so prices may be higher or lower without notice.
- Pie Crust:
- 1¼ cups All Purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Sugar
- 8 tablespoons Ice Water
- Pie Filling:
- Cherry Jam (or other filling of your choice)
- Other ingredients and Materials:
- 2 tablespoons White Sugar
- 1 large egg with splash of water
- Lollipop Sticks oven safe
- Heart Shaped Cookie cutter (or other shape for other occasions)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- To make pie crust: in a food processor pulse Flour, Salt, and sugar several times to blend. Add butter and pulse till resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons ice water. Pulse dough till it is crumbly but holds together when squeezed. If needed add two more tablespoons of ice water only one at a time till texture is reached. Don't over process.
- Roll out dough till it is smooth and about ¼ inch thick
- Use cookie cutter to cut out shapes till you have 6 matching pairs
- Spoon the Cherry filling or other filling of choice into center of cut outs keeping the out side board clean of filling.
- Next firmly press down a lollipop end of the stick into the dough. And place the matching cutout on top.
- Using the tip of a fork gently pinch the two layers of dough tougher.
- Place lollipops on a baking sheet. Brush the top layer of dough with the egg and water mixture and sprinkle with the white sugar.
- Bake for 20 - 30 mins or until golden brown