Each day we will be posting A Thrifty Light recipe from one of our readers. At the end of the month, one of you will win a $25.00 Gift Card. For all the details click here. Keep those thrifty and healthy recipe tips coming!!!
Please submit your recipes on this post HERE, or to our email with the word Thrifty Recipe on the subject line.
Thanks To Becky at NOT YOUR ORDINARY AGENT for this Thrifty Light recipe:
#1 Family Friendly Roast
I altered a recipe that I found in Woman’s Day.
What You Will Need:
- 2 lbs chicken drumsticks (skin stays!)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 heads of broccoli, use parts you prefer
- 2 apples, cut into thick wedges
- Olive Oil
- 1 T curry
- Aluminum foil
- 2 rimmed baking sheets
- Heat oven to 450?.
- Divide chicken, potatoes, broccoli and apples onto two baking sheets.
- Drizzle with olive oil, enough to lightly coat.
- Sprinkle half of curry onto each mixture. Toss to coat.
- Cook for 15 minutes. Remove and toss. Place sheets on opposite shelf and cook for another 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
#2 A Little More than Just Bread Salad
Another way to use leftover bread is to make a bread salad. This bread salad is a One Pot Wonder. You don’t need anything more than something to wash it down with. It’s surprisingly refreshing and filling and the whole family will enjoy. It’s also a different way to use that can of tuna in your pantry. All of these ingredients are easy to find and won’t break the bank!
What you will need:
- 1 (14oz) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 2 T fresh basil, chopped
- ½ baguette, cubed
What you probably have at home:
- 1 (12 oz) can light tuna, packed in water, drained
- ¼ cup kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 T red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp spicy mustard
- Bread knife
- Large bowl
- Small bowl
- Mix tuna, olives, beans, shallot, and tomatoes in large bowl.
- In small bowl, combine vinegar, oil and mustard. Whisk and reserve.
- Just before serving, fold bread into tuna mixture. Drizzle with dressing, lightly mixing all ingredients together. Sprinkle chopped basil over top.