Want to feed your gang, but don’t want to spend a lot of $$$$ doing so?! Well then, you’ve come to the right place! Today’s recipe is featuring ground beef. Ground beef, my go to meat when the budget is a little tight. 🙂 This recipe is packed with, as I would call, “healthy fillers” including beans, corn and tomatoes to make the ground beef stretch farther. I have my little tricks, as I’m sure you do too, when it comes to feeding your family and making your dollar stretch farther for your gang. If you have a “stretch your ground beef farther method”, please share it with the rest of us. We’d love to hear it!
- 1 3.4 lbs. ground beef
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 5 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained
- 2 cups frozen super sweet white corn
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons McCormick taco seasoning
- approx. 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- approx. 1/2 vintage white cheddar
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon McCormick taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup half and half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet combine ground beef, celery and onions. Brown over medium high heat; drain fat.
- Add diced tomatoes, black beans, corn, tomato sauce and taco seasoning; stir.
- Scoop mixture into a large 3 quart baking dish. Top with cheeses. Set aside.
- Let’s make the crust – In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, taco seasoning, baking powder, melted butter and half and half; whisk until smooth. Pour crust mixture evenly over meat mixture. Bake in preheated 350 degree F. oven for 35-40 minutes Or until crust is lightly brown. Serve.