Thanks to This Is Savvylicious for passing along this fun craft project just in time for Halloween, and the price is thrifty as well. Even better if you have your won jars. An empty pickle jar or something like that would work great too.
If you would like to be a featured guest post on Look What I Made, watch for our weekly post each Tuesday called A Thrifty online craft fair, link up and you may be selected for our weekly feature post.
This is a great Do-It-Yourself craft for you and your kids. These spooky pumpkins are easy to make and they are easy on the pocketbook.
- Materials Needed:
- 3 empty glass jars in various sizes and shapes
- orange tissue paper or orange crepe paper (I used crepe paper because I already had some)
- decoupage glue (I used Mod Podge)
- foam paintbrush
- black construction paper
- small bowl
- 3 battery-operated votive candlesSteps:1. For each jar, measure the length from the lid to bottom of the jar. Cut out strips of tissue paper about 1 1/2? wide (if you use crepe paper, there’s no need to measure it) by the length of the jar.
2. In a small bowl, mix 3 parts decoupage glue with 1 part water. For each jar, brush a 1 1/2?-wide coat of the mixture to the outside of the jar from top to bottom. Lay a strip of the paper vertically over the glue. Gently smooth out the paper with your finger. NOTE: Be very gently – the paper will tear if you use too much glue or are too rough when smoothing the paper. Repeat with the remaining strips, overlapping each about 1/2?. Let jars dry.
3. Draw faces and other designs on black construction paper. Cut out designs.
4. Glue faces onto the front of each jar. Apply a thin layer of decoupage glue to jar’s entire surface to seal. Let dry overnight. Fill each jar with a battery-operated votive candle.
Cost of This Project:
- 3 empty glass jars in various sizes and shapes, $1.00 ea. at Dollar Tree = $3.00
- orange crepe paper, already had = $0
- Mod Podge, already had = $0
- black construction paper, already had = $0
- 3 battery-operated votive candles, $1.00 ea. 2-pk. at Dollar Tree = $2.00
- Total Cost = $5.00