Homemade Rosemary Pecorino Romano Crackers by Tiffany
My kids love homemade crackers, what about yours?! They especially love this flavored cracker. You’d think the fancy ingredients in this recipe would turn a kid off, but on the contrary, the flavor of this cracker is the bomb diggity for both kids and adults. Quick! Gather your kiddos for this easy recipe that they can make in the kitchen, with supervision of course. 😉 Get creative and adapt the spices and cheese for your favorite flavor cracker. We also did an onion garlic cheddar cracker that rocked the house too! You can find that recipe below the main one. Enjoy!
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons organic evaporated cane juice sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh or dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 heaping tablespoons grated pecorino romano cheese
- 3/4 cup heavy cream, plus extra if needed
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, pepper and rosemary. Using a fork or pastry blender, cut in butter until you get pea sized coarse crumbs. Next, stir in pecorino romano. Now, pour in the heavy cream and mix with a fork adding a bit more cream if needed.
- Gently press the dough together and shape into a disk. Wrap disk in plastic wrap, let rest at room temp. for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray two heavy duty medium sized baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray.
- Unwrap the disk and divide dough in two equal pieces. Lightly flour your work surface and rolling pin. Roll each dough ball out as thin as possible, lightly dusting surface and rolling pin with flour if needed. Carefully transfer the rolled out sheets to your prepared baking sheets. Cut dough into squares with a pizza cutter or leave whole and bake in your preheated 350 degree oven for 12-15 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Transfer crackers to a cooling rack and let cool completely before storing. If you baked your crackers whole, once cooled, break into shards.
Recipe for Onion Garlic Cheddar Crackers
From recipe above omit the rosemary and pecorino romano. Add 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon dried chives, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and approx. 3 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese. Bake as directed above.
Original recipe by: Williams- Sonoma Essentials For Baking ~ Seeded Crackers pg. 80
Adapted recipe/photos by: Tiffany